Friday, May 29, 2009

Pre-op appt.

Yesterday Dustin and I drove down to Tacoma for my pre-op appointment. Actually, I should rephrase that. I drove to Tacoma and back and Dustin slept. It was a quite a long day. We left Lynden at about 8:15 a.m. and by the time I got back from picking up the girls from Mom and Dad's it was 8:20.

We seemed to just "hurry up and wait" the entire day. First, more x-rays, then talk to this person, then this person, then sign here, here and here, then go back to where you came from earlier and give a blood sample, etc. My appt. was at 11:30 a.m. and we didn't walk out of there until 3:30.

Although it was a long day, it was very beneficial. I felt better and more at ease with the surgery after my appointment then when I had arrived. Everyone was very nice and answered any questions I had. I found out that Dr. Mayo isn't going to fix my femur on Tuesday like I thought. He said he's going to look at it while he's in there and then decide. If it needs to be fixed, he would do it six months from now. I was glad to hear that because I figured one incision at a time was enough for me.

Since my pre-op I have come to the conclusion that Dr. Mayo is a rock star. I'm not joking. During my pre-op ordeal, the nurses, x-ray techs, and admission people would ask me who my doctor was. When I told them they all would say, Oh, Dr. Mayo...he's so good or he's the best or did you know that people come from all over the country to see him?
Then, I was told that Dr. Mayo's patients get private rooms after surgery. Another added bonus, right?
And lastly, this is the thing that solidified Dr. Mayo's rock star status in my eyes. I was in the waiting room waiting to get my x-ray when a woman told the receptionist that she was going to step out a minute and use the restroom outside the office down the hall. The receptionist asked her if she was a patient of Dr. Mayo and the woman said that she was. The receptionist told her that since she was a patient of Dr. Mayo's she didn't have to use the one in the hall, she could use the one right in the office. It's a small perk but I'll take it. Bathroom privileges are not something I take lightly. If I can toss Dr. Mayo's name around and can get a closer bathroom, you can bet I'm going to take advantage of it.

See? Rock star. Absolute rock star.

No comments:

Post a Comment