Friday, May 8, 2009

Jumping on the bandwagon

Well, I've done it. I've caved. I have jumped on the blogging bandwagon and there's no turning back. I've been heard recently saying, "Why would anyone blog about a surgery? What's the point?"
That was then and this is now.
I've done a lot of research for my upcoming surgery and have found many blogs that tell the tale of ones journey through the above mentioned hip surgery and have found that many people blog in order to keep their family/friends informed of what's going on. The more I thought about it, the more I thought that was a good idea. What better way for family/friends to find out how you are doing than to read your blog?
So, here we are at my first attempt at blogging.
This entire blog will be devoted to my preparation of surgery, my surgery and my recovery. First things first, let me give you a little background as to why I have to have surgery.

Let's go back...way back to 1980 (think big hair and acid wash jeans). Within the first year of my life (I'd have to ask my mom exactly when) I was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia. I'm not sure what my symptoms were but all I know is my hips were messed up and needed to be fixed. So I was outfitted with some very stylish braces that I wore for quite some time (again, I'd have to ask my mom for the details) until my condition improved. (I have a picture, I'll see if I can figure out how to post it within the next couple of days.) Fast forward to the year 2008 and you have me, a fairly active 28 year old that is all of the sudden feeling very much like an 80 year old due to hip pain.

To make a long story short, I was again diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia (apparently, it never really went away) and was told that I could do one of 2 things. I could go about my business just as I had been, in pain and probably need a total hip replacement by the age of 50 or I could have surgery to fix my ailment and thus postponing the inevitable hip surgery for another 30 - 35 years and be generally, pain free during that time.

It wasn't really a choice for me. I had gotten to the point to where I had chronic hip pain. It hurt to walk, sit, drive, lie in bed, etc. I felt old. I couldn't walk more than one mile without starting to limp because of the pain. I couldn't sit in one position very long. If I did something active like play softball (Go 1st CRC!!!) I would pay for it the next few days. I knew right away that I needed to have surgery.

So after a 5 month journey, I'm finally scheduled to go under the knife on June 2nd. More on that story to come.

This post has turned into quite a lengthy introduction and I have so much more to tell but I'll slowly tell my story over the next 25 days so I don't lull you into a deep sleep.

Until then...

Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment