Tuesday, May 12, 2009

God thing, cont.

When we last left our hero (that's me) I had just received news that my surgery was approved by the blasted insurance company. I shall pick up the story from there.

So, Keri, from Dr. Mayo's office called me exactly one week ago and confirms what I had suspected the insurance company was trying to tell me in the letter they sent. My surgery was, in fact, approved. She went on to say that she was surprised that it was approved. Apparently, they have been submitting other patients surgeries to the insurance companies and they have all been denied. Keri told me of one patient that's flying in from Michigan to have Dr. Mayo do her surgery this month. Keri said this woman is practically crippled because of her condition but her insurance company has still denied her claim. What a sad society we live in. It's a shame that an insurance company can decided what is and isn't medically necessary for a patient.

Anyway, Keri went on to say that the fact that my surgery was approved was the good news. She had some bad news as well. She said that Dr. Mayo was putting all of his surgeries on hold for awhile because he's been having back problems for a couple of years which makes it hard for him to stand during surgery. He was supposed to have back surgery a couple of different times within the past couple of years but had backed out. A surgeon backing out of surgery? Who would have thought? I guess his wife was pushing him to take action once and for all.
Keri said that they would pencil me in for August or September but didn't really know what Dr. Mayo was going to do. I asked if it was possible for him to stop operating because of his condition. Keri said it was possible but she didn't know for sure. My next question was, if he decides to stop operating, where is the closest surgeon that performs this type of surgery. Keri replied, Reno. That would be quite the quest. I can't imagine getting home from Reno after surgery. Ouch. Keri said that I shouldn't worry about that. She would talk to Dr. Mayo and see what he says and maybe, if I'm willing, he can get me in sooner. She promised to contact me by Friday with his decision.

Around 2:30 that same afternoon Keri called me back. She had talked to Dr. Mayo and was wondering if I would be available for surgery on June 2. June 2?!?! As in June 2, 2009? Yes, Keri confirmed. June 2, 2009. I weakly said that would be fine and she started rattling off information like the date of my pre-op, what vitamins I should be taking, etc. Thankfully, all of this information came in a letter in the mail a couple of days later because she kind of lost me after June 2.

So her I am now, scheduled for a surgery that I never thought was going to happen, with a surgeon that is one of 12 in the U.S., who is also squeezing me in with less than one months notice. Seriously? I don't think it has ever been more obvious to me, than with this whole surgery thing that God really does have my back. I'm so glad. Who better to have in your corner?

No comments:

Post a Comment