Friday, September 11, 2009

3 months post-op and physical therapy

I've officially hit the 3 month post-op mark and I've been going to physical therapy for the past month. I believe things are going well but I still have pain frequently throughout the day. I know that I've improved my range of motion and my limp is just about gone.
I go to physical therapy twice a week and I have to admit, it's not as painful as I thought it would be. I pictured myself being in a lot of pain during and after PT but that's not the case. I can definitely tell when my PT increases my exercises a bit (she did that this week) but I don't hurt as much as I thought I would. The thing I have the most trouble with is the balance training I have to do. It's amazing how much your balance suffers after surgery! When I first start PT, I had to see how long I could stand on one foot. When standing on my surgical leg, I could only stand for 12 seconds! I have since improved that to over 1 minute but it still doesn't come as easy as standing on my non-surgical leg. I still have 2 1/2 months of PT left so I'm sure I will get better and better.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good considering it's only been 3 months since surgery and I'm told a total recovery could take between 6 - 12 months. I've been asked if I'm glad I had the surgery but I honestly don't know yet. I'm still in pain quite a bit of the time but it's a different kind of pain I was having before surgery. I think I made the right decision when I chose to have the surgery but I think it will take me awhile to be completely healed. I missed playing softball this summer and I'm going to miss volleyball this fall but hopefully I'll be ready to go by the spring. Hopefully Mayo will give me the ok!

My next appt. with Mayo is October 22nd so I'll know more about how I'm healing after that.

On a completely different note, fall is here! School started a couple of weeks ago and it's now football and soccer season! The leaves haven't quite started changing yet but fall is definitely in the air. It's my favorite season!

No comments:

Post a Comment